Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Enough with the rejects!


I was as excited as the rest of you Bachelor[ette] fans when our favorite reality host Chris Harrison announced (to no one's surprise) that the next bachelorette would be none other than our favorite Canadian hot dog afficionado, Jillian Harris (or, as one well-spoken and brazen bachelor called her last night, "Hot Tub Harris").

Fast forward to last night, when I was forced (work with me, here) to watch the worst two hours in The Bachelor franchise's history. There was just so much wrong with this new season already...

The least of which, let's cut to the chase, was not that not one single one of Miss J's potential suitors was even attractive. Ok, so there was a hint of cute here and there (hello, Juan) but, overall, there was not one man who stood out (as, I hate to admit, Ryan the Fireman did on the first season of the show) as a potential husband or, even, romantic interest. Yes, they all had interesting careers. They seemed relatively successful. All were obviously interested in her. But they were also bad dressers (the hipster from Brooklyn as just one example), had horrible senses of humor ("You are a great catch!"), were already pulling the wool over her eyes (I'm talking to you, Mr. First Impression Rose--you lost your words? Really? I already forgot your name, so great first impression.), and had fetishes (Feet?! Already?! On the first episode?! For the world to see?! Way to go, Tanner P.).

Ok, so back to my point. Whatever that may have been. Yesterday's episode was just bad. And, in all honesty (and I say this with "expertise" as I have watched almost every season (I took an unintended reality dating tv break in 2008), that Jillian didn't really seem all that stoked to be there. Sure she was excited. But she also was (1) on tv (2) had a great new wardrobe (3) was living in an awesome mansion and (4) [despite their quality] eventually had 30 men swooning over her.

...three of whom allegedly have girlfriends. And one of whom agreed to be on the show because he thought it would give him a better chance of becoming the next Bachelor. Which brings me to my REAL point: WTF with the choices for America's bachelor and bachelorette? I, and others I know (Hi, CB! Hi, Jacqueline!), long for the days when our lovelorn contestant was someone of relative significance--a military doctor, a 24 year old who started and ran his own bank, a son of a member of a prominent family. Now? Now we have random Canadians and unremarkable ahole single dads. Now we have cast offs who weren't good enough the first time around and are now getting a chance of their own...in which their rejects will undoubtedbly move on to star in the next season. Is that what we want?
No, it's not. But stay tuned for next week, anyway, when I complain again about wasting an hour of my life watching this dribble [and loving and hating every second of it].

No comments: