Tuesday, May 19, 2009

While we're on the subject of Facebook...

So, before I was on the Facebook bandwagon (OH how I resisted), I still had a slight interest in what was going on in that part of cyberspace. Ok, it was more than slight. (And my resistance was admittedly more out of spite than anything by then.)

ANYWAY, even though I refused to legitimately sign up for Facebook, I did sign up illegitimately, if you will. I created a persona--no pictures, no real details--so that I could peruse the profiles my friends were talking about (assuming, of course, they were public and/or within my network). This girl, let's call her Marisa (DOB: 2/24/84), never made any friends, didn't post status updates, wasn't tagged in photos...she just sort of existed. She did do me and my other non-FB friends well for some time., allowing us to--ok, fine--stalk to our hearts' content. Soon, though, we sort of forgot about her.

Until this week when she appeared to me as a friend suggestion. What?!? How did THAT happen? Why would FB think I wanted to be friends with her? She has no friends, we have no connection whatsoever except our broad Washington, DC network. I. Don't. Get. It. Is FB trying to tell me it's on to me and my not so wily ways?

And, please. Don't think I don't think you have or have had a fake FB profile, too. Or know someone else who does. Or, at the very least, considered it. I have a theory that, if it weren't such a privacy enabling social network, there'd be tons of fake profiles floating around. Am I wrong?

No comments: