Monday, May 11, 2009

A Review, Or Two

Since BaCT's rebirth, I've come to realize that I'm just going to write about whatever strikes my fancy. No more fear of being ostracized or judged. I think it? I write it. There.



So, for your reading pleasure, I'm going to embark on my first blog reviews. Today's installation will be a spa review and a restaurant review...all rolled into one!



This past weekend I had the pleasure of partaking in my cousin in law's babymoon. For those of you who do not know, a babymoon is like a honeymoon, only you do something fun before the baby comes rather than after you get married. Make sense? Okay, good.



Since she is almost about to have this kid, we had to do something low key and local. How about a spa day? Um, okay.



So off we went. Note to spa goers--Costco (or the Price Club, as we old schoolers like to call it) has spafinder gift cards. This means you pay $79.99 for a gift card that can be used at any particpating spa (which can be found at http://www.spafinder.com/). But here's the great part--the gift cards are worth $100! For you non math majors out there, that's a 20% discount.



Our spa of choice was Comfort and Joy Spa in Fairfax (http://www.comfortjoy.com/). Don't be fooled by the fact that it's in a half empty strip mall...or that you are greeted with a big sign that just says "Day Spa." The place is amazing (and has been written up numerous times in The Washingtonian, in addition to having great (albeit four) reviews on Yelp.com).



Everything the spa uses is organic, so you can feel all special and green and not indulgent in the least. You're protecting the environment, dammit! The inside of the spa is bigger than it looks from the outside...it's not as serene and spa like as others I've been to (ie Lansdowne and Hershey) but it was agreeable. What was not agreeable was the lipstick all over the glasses of water we were offered. Gross.

On to the treatments. My companions each had a one hour massage--one regular, one prenatal. The prenatal massage was executed by a very small, female masseuse. As such, it wasn't as beneficial, tough, or relaxing as it could have been. The other massage was without complaint.

As one who does not enjoy massages, I opted for a scrub/wrap combo. Specifically, the One Hour Cornucopia Head to Toe Wrap. Here's how they describe it: "Relax as your body is buffed from head to toe with Amaize Organics© products. Begin with a blue cornmeal foot scrub, follow that with a red cornmeal body scrub, then enjoy an aromatherapy wrap and top it all off with a yellow cornmeal body crème application. Includes a mini facial." It was, to say the least, amazing. I had a great masseuse who applied just the right amount of pressure. Everything from the scrub to the added bonus of the facial was fabulous and I felt extremely relaxed. I was able to free my mind of the stress I had been feeling and enjoy my hour (it was really 75 minutes) of pampering.

All in all, and for what it was worth, this was a great spa experience. Taking all of our treatments and our opinions of them to come up with a median rating, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Since my computer keeps telling me it has graciously detected a virus, I'm going to save my review of our lunch spot, Ray's Hell Burger, until later...

No comments: