Thursday, January 05, 2006

It's not raining men.


At least not in the town of Chewandswallow (or here, even, but that's neither here nor there at the moment). In Chewandswallow, my friends, it rains soup.

Welcome to a review (eh, it's more like a summary--can't be critical and analytical at the moment) of my favorite book Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

The land of Chewandswallow is quite unique in that there is not a food store of any kind in the whole town! There's no need. The food comes with the weather, three times a day (coincidentally, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner). When it rained it came in the form of soup (lobster bisque with creme fraiche?) or beverages (vodka and lemonade?). When it snowed, it snowed mashed potatoes with a hearty helping of buttery yellow sunshine. On a good day, the wind blew in hamburgers and donuts.

What a wonderful life these townsfolk live, no? But wait! Trouble is bound to ensue...

Soon, the weather gets bad! The food got bigger and bigger and so did the portions. The townspeople didn't know what to do! Floods of gravy and chocolate milk threatened the town. Everything was a big mess. The townspeople began to fear for their lives (and, the food was going down in quality, too. Moldy bread was falling from the sky, and gorgonzola cheese. Ew!). What were they to do?

Ha, I'm not going to tell you. You have to go and read it for yourself (no worries, I have a copy if you want to borrow it).

This book was my all time favorite as a kid...I first saw it on Reading Rainbow (sup, LeVar?), where I was also introduced to my second favorite, Gregory the Terrible Eater (do we see a trend here?). So I was a nerdy book obsessed kid who was also obsessed with food. Ah, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Here's another (better? Debatable.) review.

This is La, signing out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butterfly in the sky
I can go twice as high
Take a look
It's in a book
A Reading Rainbow

I can go anywhere
Friends to know
And ways to grow
A Reading Rainbow

I can be anything
Take a look
It's in a book
A Reading Rainbow

Beth said...

aw, I love that book. That and the Lorax were my all time favorites. I read it to my cousins and they looked at me like I was on crack...kids these days...

Sara said...

Wait, I'm sorry, I read this blog b/c it has great celebrity gossip and funny commentary on it. Not this lameness of BOOKS. Go join Oprah's book club. LOL.