Monday, January 23, 2006

You probably think this blog is about you.

I remember sitting in church one day a long, long time ago. Father Joe (or FoJo, as we like to call him) was giving a homily about something or another and he was referencing Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" (he's hip like that). At that time (it was pre-How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days) I did not know what he was talking about. My dad looked over from his seat and jokingly sang the song to me. I was like nine. Seriously. I surely wasn't vain then (though I definitely had more reason to be), and I'm not necessarily now. (Shh. Keep your comments to yourselves.)

Unless you count craigslist. I am obsessed, as you know, with Missed Connections. I will admit to opening listings that could be, might be me. Does this mean I'm vain? When Sass was here last week, we tried desperately to make an impression--of any kind--on someone, anyone, so that we would be a missed connection. It didn't work, although there was a listing called "Looking for [insert Sass's real name here]" that got us excited...it wasn't her, but it was still a momentary feeling of awe.

I thought about this today as I was driving home from work and the song came on the radio (I forgot the iPod, don't have satellite like the cool kids, and all the stations except this particular one were playing commercials. And, fine, it is preset. But leave me alone.). Instead of "you probably think this song is about you," one could easily replace the lyrics with "you probably think this listing's about you." Sad that I thought about that. It had been a long day.

Now, I know that I'm not the only one who scours the listings. I read ones that are asking about people who were at places where I had just been or who were at places I go. I read ones with catchy subjects and that name people I might know. You do too, I know it.

Some of you (backhanded shout out alert) even post fake listings, knowing I'll read them. Some of you read them and send them to me. You are all, my friends, as addicted as I am. And there's nothing wrong with that. You can think it's you if you want, there's nothing wrong with that. I won't judge. But, think about it: however "romantic" the notion might be of you grabbing the attention of a handsome stranger (who then has no other way of finding you than to post on a very public (and much ridiculed) website) might be, there is some antiquated sense of fulfillment when "love" happens the old-fashioned way.

So hooray for craigslist for instilling in us a sense of hope--however momentary--or, at the very least, for giving us hour upon hour of entertainment [while at work].

PS, I'm convinced that "You're Beautiful" is an MC put to music. Think about it.

2 comments:

I-66 said...

proof positive that Craigslist never ceases to amuse...

lala said...

i don't know what you're talking about.