Monday, March 20, 2006

Sure to Elicit Some Controversy.



Ok, I know this post (well, the quote below more so than my own comments) is going to rile up some of my favorite regular readers (Tribe Pride! Catch It!...and all you Hokie people)...but I found it amusing.

(Allegedly) from ESPN Magazine (I am, thus, unsure of the impetus behind the following):

"Just about every other school in Virginia likes to bash UVA kids for being 'pretentious' and 'snobs.' In other words, they get called out for thinking they're better than everyone else. Well, if you went to the school in Virginia with the most stringent admissions requirements, best overall athletic program, most beautiful campus and coeds, most successful and famous alumni, the most storied social scene, was founded by Thomas Jefferson, and all that happened to be in what was voted the #1 city to live in America, well you'd think you were the shit too."

A hodgepodge of comments:

  1. Eek, someone who graduated from The University (haha) should have a better grasp of the English language.
  2. I do not think I am the shit, but I can often be pretentious and snobby. In a good way.
  3. I am better than some people, who shall remain nameless.
  4. I'll vouch for the admissions requirements. I so would not have been accepted had I applied this year (to be a member of the class of 2010. WHOA).
  5. I am not qualified to discuss the athletic program except to say that football games are really fun.
  6. Um, nothing is prettier than a fall day on the Lawn. However, a day at my post college school comes very, very close (especially if the cast of Dawson's Creek is there).
  7. My friends (you know who you are) and I are hot. Duh. (Uh oh, there comes that I-think- I'm-better-than-everyone-else attitude. Oops.)
  8. Tina Fey! Katie Couric! RFK! Brit Hume! Melissa Stark! Benjamin Mckenzie!
  9. Wow, do I have a lot of stories. Yes, folks, there was a time when I was more fun than I am now. But, to avoid incriminating others, you'll just have to take my word for it. However, not sure those were the stories to which the author was referring.
  10. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mr. Jefferson.
  11. Charlottesville also (again allegedly) has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the country which, thus, makes it extremely appealing for a whole slew of new reasons.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Miami makes me want to die.

Miss Scarlet said...

UofR IS gorgeous! (What's this about Dawson's Creek??)

lala said...

um, they filmed an episode of DC on dampus when i was at u of r...yep, i saw them all (except pacey). it was the episode where they go to "boston" to look at schools.